Monday, December 1, 2008

An Election of Strength

I have my biases, it is true. I am quite pleased we have a President Elect who makes me feel proud. Last week, my husband ran into Bret and Dot at the grocery store, as he does most Friday mornings. They chat about having grey hair (or is it silver?), and all that goes with it. Even Bret patted Beryl on the back and said -- "I am impressed with what your guy has been doing since November 4. I didn't vote for him, but he is surprising me now!"

It seems that Barack Obama was elected, more than any president I can recall, on the basis of his strengths -- especially his strengths of character. Many political commentators have written of his strengths. He cares about people. He articulates and demonstrates his values. He collaborates. He listens. He has a vision (well, most of the time!) And perhaps the greatest strength of all -- he is able to instill hope.

People, especially at these times, are seeking hope. And we have found the possibility of hope by truly seeing, highlighting, and voting for the strengths of a leader. I heard no one quip, this election, that he or she was voting for the "lesser of two evils." Obama's and John McCain's ability to demonstrate their strengths made this an election of strength. For that, too I am proud.

Andrea

1 comment:

Consult David W LLC said...

So, how do you feel about President Obama's leadership strength's now? I didn't vote for him (I voted against him, in fact) - just so you know where I'm coming from - and I'm not surprised at his lack of leadership. Being able to communicate hope and change is one thing - actually bringing it about, well that's a different thing.